Tuesday, 31 January 2017

My General Fatigue With Gaming


I don't know what it is these days, but I can't get myself to play anything. On Friday, after almost a yearlong dry spell I reinstalled Heroes of the Storm thinking it will be fun to have some competitive edge. As soon as I finished my first game, I was dispelled of that notion. All the reasons why I uninstalled it in the first place were obvious once again. I'd like to say it's not me, it's the game but I know that would be unfair. Because over that same weekend I tried couple of other games with which I used to have plenty of fun.

Thinking it would be great to go down the memory lane, on Satturday I installed Knights of the Old Republic. As soon as I was given the control over the droid I found myself uninstalling the game. I don't know what I was looking for, but KotOR was not scratching that itch in the least. Then I started playing with the idea that Dragon Age: Origins was always a great game, but the end result was the same. On Sunday I first lost half an hour creating a city elf that I deleted as soon as tutorial started, and then lost another half an hour creating a human noble, that I deleted as soon as the attack on the castle started.

At that point I just gave up. I deleted the game and resigned myself to a couple of mindless games of Hearthstone. These days, the only game I still open every other day, and even that only to clear the quests all at once in order to get the gold. I'm already saving for the next expansion or adventure that wasn't even announced yet. What else is there to do? I'm not about to waste money on cards I don't need, or Arena runs I can't reasonably profit from.

Truth is, my computer is old. It's been old for long, but the duration of previous console generation kept it in the loop. So now, eight years after the release of Wrath of the Lich King it feels ancient. I got games in my Steam library collecting dust on them, brand new games I would very much love to play, but it is just not a possibility. Not for some time still. Nothing I can do there.

But then again, maybe I'm just blaming it on my computer. Right now I feel the itch for some Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I replayed Sands of Time and The Two Thrones some time ago, but I did not dare to replay Warrior Within. That one is an all-time favourite. And no matter what I want to avoid what happened with Unreal II: The Awakening. When I was a kid, the game was awesome, now it doesn't look that good, and I'm not talking about the graphics either. Maybe it's just nostalgia, or maybe it's just Dahaka is demanding his due...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Call of Duty: What's up with all the revisionism?

When I first heard the next instalment of now more than a decade old franchise would be going back to World War II, I was genuinely excit...